Where were you on 9/11?

My husband and I became a couple on September 11 in 2000. A year after, when we were celebrating our first anniversary, terrorists attacked the United States. I remember being in a Karaoke place in Malate with my cousins and bible study group when my aunt called to say we have to go home immediately. She said the World Trade Center has been bombed. Our immediate thought was ‘the World Trade Center near Roxas Boulevard? Oh no, we have to go home fast before traffic starts to build up’. On our way home, we got another call from my aunt saying we need to pray for our uncle in the US since they cannot contact him. That’s when we realized that she was not referring to the World Trade in Manila but the twin towers in New York. That was where my uncle worked.

I remember getting home and seeing my parents glued to the TV. We watched the planes hit the twin towers on the news in disbelief as we constantly tried to contact my uncle. We finally got to speak with him after what seemed like a long time.

My uncle was telling us about his experience that day. He was already in the office when they heard a loud crashing sound. They were then asked to evacuate the building immediately. He did not know what was happening and did not realize the gravity of the situation. My uncle went out of the building and just stayed there to wait for further instructions. After a while, they were given clearance to go back to the office. My uncle and his friends decided to go get some ice cream first. A few minutes after, their building collapsed. He said he still did not know what was happening but started going with the crowd rushing outside of the area. He only found out about what really happened when he reached home and saw the news.

I remember an email that was sent around during that time and I’d like to share a portion of it with you.


·         As you might know, the head of a company survived because his son started kindergarten.
·         Another fellow was alive because it was his turn to bring donuts.
·         One woman was late because her alarm did not go off in time.
·         One was late because of being stuck on the NJ Turnpike because of a car accident.
·         One of them missed his bus.
·         One spilled food on her clothes and had to take time to change.
·         One went back to answer the telephone.
·         One had a child that dawdled and did not get ready as soon as he should have.
·         One couldn't get a taxi.
·         One had a blister on his foot and stopped at a drugstore to buy a Band-Aid.  


Now when i am stuck in traffic, miss an elevator, turn back to answer a ringing telephone and all the little things that annoy me, i think to myself, this is exactly where God wants me to be at this very moment.

This is not to say that God was not watching over those people whose lives ended on 9/11. God’s will is perfect…and though we cannot understand his plans, we should just trust His heart. He knows what is best.

For those of us who have lived through difficult times and witnessed God’s love and power,  do not forget what God has done for us.

Joshua 4:20-22: And Joshua set up at Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken out of the Jordan. He said to the Israelites, "In the future when your descendants ask their fathers, 'What do these stones mean?' Tell them, 'Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground'"



Post a Comment

  © Theme Designed by Fancy Girl Designs 2011 for Breakfast with Tiffany

Back to TOP